The meal I have for you today is a healthy spin on a traditional comfort food dinner. Instead of deep fried shrimp and cheesy mashed potatoes, I have Lemon Sesame Shrimp and Spinach-Smashed Potatoes. Enjoy!
Lemon Sesame Shrimp
-1lb Frozen Pre-boiled Shrimp
-2 T. Butter
-2 Lemon Segments
-1 T. Crushed Garlic
-A Few Pinches of Sesame Seeds
1. Defrost 1lb of frozen shrimp. If you are in a pinch for time, you can use a hot water rinse or the microwave (defrost setting-be sure not to over heat/cook it).
2. Place thawed shrimp into large frying pan, along with butter and garlic. Set the heat to medium.
3. As you sauté the shrimp, throw in a few pinches of sesame seeds and squeeze the lemon segments over the shrimp (then discard).
4. Sauté shrimp for about 20 minutes.
5. Now add salt and pepper (use however much or little you need to please your taste buds).
Spinach Smashed Potatoes
(Makes 4 Servings)
-5 Med. Sized Red Potatoes
-1 Cup Frozen Spinach
-1 T. Butter
-1/2 Cup of 2% Milk
-3/4 Cup of Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
1. Rinse and dice potatoes (leave the skin on).
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3. Carefully place diced potatoes into the boiling water.
4. Keep the stove set the same (medium) and let the potatoes boil for 20 minutes.
5. Add spinach to the boiling pot.
6. Let all of the potatoes and spinach boil for another 5-10 minutes (until the potatoes are easily sliced with a butter knife).
7. Use a strainer to remove water from the food.
8. Turn heat off.
9. Place potatoes and spinach back into the warm pot.
10. Use a fork to smash potatoes.
11. Add milk, butter, and cheese to the pot- keep smashing and stirring.
12. Now add salt and pepper to taste. Remember, salt brings out the 'yumminess' of cheese, so be sure to add enough.
Happy Eating! Yum!!!
What is your favorite comfort food?
Does it have a healthy twist?